2020: Glow from the Inside Out
Healthy Skin For a Happy Life
Well, friends, we’re halfway through January, and by now, we’ve all heard the generic “New Year, New You” spiel more than a couple times. Unrealistic resolutions come and go, but here at Luminance, we know setting healthy lifestyle goals will allow our skin and body to feel their best.
Here’s a closer look at the ways a healthy lifestyle allows us to maintain comfortable, happy skin.
- Diet- Some days we eat oatmeal and salads, other days we have potato chips for dinner, and then a smoothie the next morning. It’s called balance. Our skin will thank us for eating right because when the food we eat is digested, the impurities are passed through our skin. So we’ll try our best to eat more healthy foods in this new year and drink plenty of water to hydrate our skin, but if you think we’re giving up those potato chips, you’re pretty funny.
- Stress- We’ve all experienced a surprise zit after a long stressful week. It’s no coincidence!
Our body produces more cortisol when we’re stressed, which signals our glands to produce more oil. Oily skin is more prone to congested pores, which are likely to get infected, causing zits. Don’t worry too much; it happens to the best of us.
The best way to handle already formed acne is just to let it be. No picking! That’ll only prolong the healing process. We also advise staying away from abrasive washcloths, rinsing with hot water, and using peroxide because they’ll further irritate blemishes.
And as for the stress causing this acne? A few deep breaths and a reminder to be kind to ourselves goes a long way to help us stay grounded. Our skin will thank us for it.
- Exercise- Sure, we know we should work out regularly, but it’s often easier said than done, right? We hear you. But fitting in quick workouts when we can is a great way to boost our mood and clean out impurities in our skin. Moving our body helps to detoxify our skin by using our water intake to flush out toxins to clean out our pores. Our skin benefits from exercise just as much as the rest of our body, so there’s another reason to take a little time for exercise.
No need for a body boot camp, 15 minutes of walking, stretching, or getting down to our favorite playlist totally counts as a workout. As long as we’re moving, we’re doing something awesome for our bodies.
We just need to make sure to wash our face with a cleanser after a workout, as sweat can lead to breakouts.
- Sleep – Once our head hits the pillow, our brain sets up shop repairing skin and blood cells. And when we don’t get enough zzz’s? Well, we’ve seen the dark circles under our eyes and “bags” from pulling an all-nighter. This is the result of our bodies not having enough time to reboot. Like our cell phones, we need time to recharge, so let’s try our best to get about 7-8 hours so our brains can work their magic.
- Clean skincare- Now, it’s time to point out the obvious- use the right skincare products!
A simple nightly clean skincare routine of cleanser, toner, and moisturizer makes all the difference in the condition of our skin. When we use clean products without artificial ingredients, toxins, and fillers, our skin can show us all that it’s capable of.
- Other factors- Unfortunately, there are a few other factors that affect our skin that we can’t control like hormones, genetics, and our environment. This explains why our skin experiences a little drama even when we’re doing our best with our skincare and healthy lifestyle grind.
Not to worry. Imperfect skin is one of the things that makes us human. Very few of us have perfect, airbrushed skin- and many of the ones that do are only a few months old. As long as we’re keeping up with our clean skincare and making conscious decisions to live our best lives, our skin will feel comfortable and healthy. After all, that’s what is most important.
So next time we notice something going on with our skin, how about we take a long look at how our week has been and see if there’s anything in our life that could use some adjusting. Sure, a little acne isn’t the end of the world, but it’s always nice to check in with ourselves to see what small changes we can make to help balance out our life and our skin.
Cheers to a Happy New Year and Radiant Skin!
Oh, one more thing!
If you’re new to Luminance, we’d love for you to start the year off with a FREE sample kit.
Visit the Sample Kit page on our website to get a week’s worth of our Gentle Cleanser, Rosewater Toner, and Hydration Moisturizer sent right to your door. Just pay to ship
(around $4.00 in the US) and we’ll cover the rest!