When we talk about anti-aging we're really trying to prevent wrinkle and keep the skin plump and healthy so that we can see the light reflecting off of the water near surface of your skin (think pregnancy glow). It's what healthy young skin looks like (if your skin's not healthy yet read HERE). So how do we keep it looking beautiful?
There are two types of aging; intrinsic again, which is natural aging over the years and a function of your genetic heritage. After the age of 20 or so, we produce about 1 percent less collagen in the skin each year. As a result, our skin becomes thinner and more fragile, we experience diminished functioning of the sweat and oil glands, less elastin production, and less GAG formation. All of this leads to wrinkle formation. Intrinsic aging is inevitable, but it will always be slight.
Then there is extrinsic aging.
Extrinsic aging is the result of exposure to the sun, tobacco use, poor diet, and synthetic and solvent based skincare products. Alone or in concert, these challenges to your skin result in an appearance of roughness, uneven tone, brown patches, thin skin, shallow and deep wrinkles.
The earlier you begin limiting your exposure to activities damage your skin the better (start now). The good news is that it's easy to make significant improvements in your skincare routine that will help prevent extrinsic aging.
1) Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. This might be the hardest change to make. And there are many sources our there that explain it better than I can in this blog article, but the just of it is, look up the foods that cause inflammation (sugar, pesticides, junk/pre-packaged food, etc.) and stop eating them. Replace them with organic whole foods.
2) Protect your skin from the sun. Some sun exposure is good. Too much is bad. Very bad for your skin. Ultraviolet radiation speeds the aging process and is the primary cause of early wrinkling. Too much unprotected sun exposure breaks down your skin’s connective tissue and interferes with collagen and the elastin fibers in the deeper dermis layers. Your skin looses strength and flexibility and begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.
Always use a sunscreen with moderate protection. But not just any sunscreen. Be careful and check to make sure your screen is alcohol, solvent and Paraben free. (We make a great one!) Additionally, be careful to avoid the nano particulate zincs and titanium’s as I am convinced these small particles are not good for your skin; and paraben’s are a disaster for your endocrine system.
3) Don't smoke. Quit. Now. (Google "aging smoker photos" if you need some motivation.) Smoking drastically reduces your skins natural antioxidants and restricts blood supply; both contribute to extrinsic aging.
4) Eliminate all the skincare products that have ingredients that damage your skin's ability to keep itself hydrated. Chronically dehydrated skin literally turns into wrinkles. Here are a few of the worst culprits:
- Propylene Glycol (Alcohol): Just terrible for your skin. In addition to being extremely drying, alcohol gets into your pours and dries out and solidifies all the healthy natural moisture produced by your skin resulting in extremely clogged, congested pours. Alcohol does kill bacteria, but there are much better ways without the harmful side effects of alcohol. Alcohol applied to the skin also depletes naturally occurring vitamin A; less vitamin A less collagen more wrinkling.
- Mineral Oil: Considered “comedogenic,” which means it clogs your pores, preventing proper hydration and increases the severity of acne and blackheads; precipitates dehydrated skin and accelerated wrinkling. Now if that's not bad enough, mineral oil is essentially a highly processed hydrocarbon and as such, many of the residual constituents are known carcinogens.
- Glycerin: I cannot for the life of me understand why any skincare product contains glycerin. Of course, the commonly held myth is glycerin holds moisture and maybe it does an itty bitty tiny little bit but there are much better ways without the sticky pour clogging side effects of glycerin. Clogged pours lead to dry skin lead to premature wrinkles and accelerated extrinsic aging. Never use any product on your skin containing glycerin.
It can be tricky to find skincare products without these ingredients (but that's literally why Kim developed them. Read more about his background HERE).
We have a Sample Kit that comes with a Delicate Cleanser, Rosewater Toner, our Deep hydration Moisturizer, completely free of Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, and anything else synthetic or toxic, or bad for skin.
Everything you need to get your skin balanced, radiant, and silky smooth. You can order it HERE for FREE by using the discount code: NONTOXIC. Just cover the cost of shipping (about $4 in the U.S.)