Few things produce the sought-after "glow from within" that we all covet for our skin quite like pregnancy. Any mama-to-be will tell you that the changes their body is going through also causes changes to their skin. While you're pregnant, it's so important to use products that are safe for your sensitive skin as well as for your baby, as we know that whatever you put on your body might as well go in it.
Why are Pregnancy-Specific Products So Important?
Being picky with your skincare products is especially important for pregnant women because the ingredients you use on your face or body will eventually sink into the skin and down into your internal ecosystem, which can affect your baby. Some studies have shown that your skin can absorb about 64% of what you put on it.
The products you use should be safe enough for a newborn – a challenge that most commercial skin and body care companies aren’t ready to face. In fact, even the jelly that’s used by many obstetricians for ultrasounds is made from petroleum, alcohols and carcinogens -- all very risky for a baby and a pregnant woman. The really crazy part is that there are clean products readily available that do the same job with none of the harsh side effects. Our Holy Cacao Massage Butter can be used in place of petroleum jelly to perform ultrasounds and provide readings just as accurate as you'd get with a commercial lubricant.
So, what do you need to look for?
Deciding which products and ingredients to use during your pregnancy is tricky because you want relief from common ailments without putting your or your baby's health at risk. Let's start by defining some of the most common pregnancy skincare concerns: sensitive facial skin, dark stretch marks, itching, cracked skin and lips and overly oily or dry facial skin. Look for ingredients that soothe and nourish the skin, help to retain natural moisture and won't poison your baby.
Best Ingredients for Mom
- Avocado Oil and Butter: Excellent for itchy stretch marks and dry skin.
- Jojoba Oil: Safe and hypoallergenic, jojoba oil is perfect for hydrating and soothing stretched or dry skin.
- Sunflower Seed Oil: Sunflower seed oil has fatty acids, Vitamin B and E. Very nourishing and easily absorbed into the skin.
- Coconut Oil: If you plan to breastfeed, coconut oil is your friend! It's high in lauric acid, which helps during pregnancy and after birth to stimulate production. It's very soothing to stretch marks and has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. *Avoid coconut oil on your face as its comedogenic properties can lead to clogged pores.
- Rosewater: So soothing and calming to inflamed skin. If you are dealing with rashes of any kind during pregnancy, rosewater will help to calm your skin.
- Apricot Kernel Oil: Soothes sores or chafed skin and helps to keep stretch marks comfortable.
- Calendula Oil: Soothing for sore or chapped nipples during breastfeeding.
- Cacao Butter: Similar to calendula oil, cacao butter is very rich and soothing for sensitive or chafed skin.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Preservatives (namely formaldehyde)
There are plenty of products that use these ingredients and market them towards pregnant women and new mothers, but they are often overpowered by petroleums, fragrances, alcohols and parabens that defeat the purpose of the product completely. Look for pure products that are unscented or naturally scented as often possible, and make sure to do your due diligence in discovering where your products' ingredients are sourced from. If you want more information on why these ingredients are a no-go for moms, check out our blog here.
Our Suggested Luminance Products
- Cream Cleanser
- Skin Butter
- Holy Cacao Massage Butter
- Rosewater Toner
- Rosewater Mask
- Clean Shampoo
- Natural Deodorant
- Makeup Remover
- Cleanse & Glow Oil
- Foot Cream
To all the moms out there -- pregnant or empty-nesting, take good care of your skin. You're doing and have done something truly miraculous with your body, so treat it gently with lots of love. We're always here to help you decipher what's best for your skin at any stage of motherhood, just drop us a line. If you're in the market for a gift for the mother figure in your life, shop our Mother's Day Collection here.