Here at Luminance, we’re all very proud that our products don’t last forever. In a world where retail commercial skincare products spend years in giant warehouses, hidden away in cool darkness, immortal and untouched by time, it feels good to say that our products have a very short shelf life.
You’re wondering why we are so happy that our products go bad. It’s because we are able to offer you freshly made skincare instead of something full of preservatives. Our products are good for about six months, maybe a little bit more, and after that, they’ll grow mold. We use a natural, non-toxic, food grade preservative system based on red radish root, so it doesn’t kill bacteria and mold – rather, it establishes an environment to stop growth for at least 6 months. This system is well-vetted and proven effective, just not forever. That’s what we want. Luckily, six months is plenty of time for you to work through to the bottom of your jar or bottle of your favorite Luminance product.
Let’s be real; nothing natural lasts forever. Flowers bloom and wilt, groceries have expiration dates, and because we use solely natural ingredients, our products expire naturally as well. We only use ingredients that grow in the world of nature so you can rest assured our products are non-synthetic, non-toxic, vegan, and organic. They’re rich with everything your skin needs to be its best, and nothing more.
Let’s go back to that warehousing thing again. Products you apply to your skin shouldn’t sit on store shelves for years. Products that can last anywhere for years absolutely depend upon ingredients that shouldn’t be in your skincare in the first place. We know that we’re in the minority here, and even after all these years, we are amazed at what’s on the shelves in the skincare aisles; we visit them every now and again just to see what the rest of the world is up to. Once upon a time, we tried selling Luminance in local shops but eventually pulled our products off the shelves and turned down store offers because we’d have to change our formulas to include stronger preservatives to sustain our presence for a long period of time. That’s a compromise we are never willing to make.
General Shelf Life Tips:
- Use your order date as your shelf life marker. We make everything weekly, so your products have a six-month shelf life from the week you purchase.
- Don’t worry too much if you’re getting close to the six-month mark and you’ve yet to see spots of mold. Some products can sustain longer. Six months is merely our guarantee of minimum shelf life. Some products last a bit longer, like our soaps and oil blends.
- We find most customers use our product up within 2-3 months. We suggest ordering according to use. No need to stock up, we’ll be here ready for your next order.
- Store your Luminance products out of direct sunlight in a room-temperature location. You can also store in the fridge if you prefer, just keep it consistent.
- Did your products separate or discolor in under six months? Sometimes things prematurely expire, again no worries. Just email our team and we’ll make it right with a replacement or exchange. Our customer service is very old school so please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Now you know why we chose to sell our products straight from our studio and from our online store. This allows us to preserve the quality of our recipes and ensure that we’re only sending out the freshest products possible. After all, you deserve only the best we can make, so when you shop with us, you have our promise of the cleanest, nutrient rich and freshly made products.
We’re always here for you.